Originally designed and developed by Visa, 3D Secure processing is an XML-based protocol that adds another step in confirming online debit and credit card transactions. Since the creation of Verified by Visa, other credit card associations have adopted similar protocols.
- Verified By Visa
- MasterCard SecureCode
- American Express SafeKey
- JCB International J/Secure
What is 3D Secure Processing?
Short for Three Domain Model, 3D Secure processing consists of the three domains:
- Acquirer Domain: The merchant and acquiring bank
- Issuer Domain: The credit card issuing bank
- Interoperability Domain: Which enables the Acquirer Domain and Issuer Domain to communicate and authenticate one another.
How Does 3D Secure Processing Work?
Although the steps are simple and take seconds to complete, 3D Secure processing will reassure your customers that they can safely purchase from your online store. Here’s how it works:
- A customer purchases goods or services through your online store using their Visa credit card.
- The Visa Directory server receives the authentication request from your server regarding the specific credit card number.
- The Visa Directory validates the card number and redirects the authentication request to the Issuer access control server (ACS).
- When the ACS validates the credit card number, it sends a message to you, letting you know whether payment authentication is available for the request.
As yet another layer of security to fight fraud, the credit card association stores all authentication requests on the Authentication History Server in the event of a chargeback or refund.
3D Secure Processing with Instabill is Simple!
One of Instabill’s top priorities is to help our merchants reduce the risk of fraudulent card use–that is why we work with acquiring banks that can integrate with 3D Secure processing through our PCI compliant payment gateway. For merchants who want to process using 3D Secure, make sure to specifically ask for a 3D Secure merchant account.
Worried setup will be more difficult? Payment gateway integration is just as easy as regular processing. Our expert technical support team is available every step of the way by calling 1-800-318-2713.